ACADEMIC CHALLENGE: YOUNG SCIENTIST WEEK
CHE PTA Curriculum Enhancement Program
March 20-24, 2017
Young Scientist Fair & S.T.E.M. Night Wednesday,
March 22, 2017
6 p.m. – 8 p.m. C.H.E. Multi-Purpose Room
Young Scientist Week (YSW) is an annual program benefiting the entire student body. YSW enhances the scientist in every Clyde Hill student.
The Science Fair and S.T.E.M. Night are held on the Wednesday of Science Week. This family event is a perennial favorite at Clyde Hill. In addition to viewing students’ project boards, there are many demonstrators and hands-on activities! Science Fair Registration CLOSED on Friday, March 10 at 11:59 p.m.
SCIENCE FAIR PROJECT
In addition to the week’s events, students are eligible to earn an Academic Challenge credit and a participation medal with completion of an inquiry-based science project for display at the Science Fair. In this challenge, the student uses the scientific method (question, hypothesis, experiment, results, conclusion) to complete an age-appropriate experiment. The inquiry process is then detailed with photos and explanations which are mounted on a display board (included with registration). Time permitting, students will present their projects to their class during YSW, plus each board will be on display at the Science Fair.
To help ensure students put forth effort on their Science Fair project, this year all projects will be evaluated by judges, AND students will have the opportunity to vote on their favorite projects for each grade. Best entries for each grade will be announced during Science Fair/STEM Night, with awards being presented as well.
Please keep in mind awards are not provided for parents’ work, only that completed by students. To ensure fairness, students will need to be present during judging at the fair to briefly explain to judges what they performed or learned with their project.
VOLUNTEERING FOR THE SCIENCE FAIR
Volunteers are needed to help in the Science Fair, more specifically:
- Chair and organize the Science Fair
- Set up chairs and tables
- Volunteers during the event to help check in Young Scientists and help with crowd control. These volunteer time slots will be short so everyone can also enjoy the Science Fair.
- Assistance with clean up
Volunteers should email Dipti Shaholia, Academic Challenge Chair.
Steps for Student Registration:
- To participate in the Science Fair, Register your student’s Science Fair Project using the Registration Form
- Start thinking about your experiment! Need help? See examples in the YSW Handbook.
- Complete your experiment and detail it on the presentation board.
- Bring your board to school for the classroom presentation, then leave it at school to be transported and set-up in the gym on Wednesday of Young Scientist Week
- Attend the YSW Science Fair and demonstrate/discuss your project.
- Photograph your exhibit and complete the Young Scientist Week Project submission form (if you are completing the Academic Challenge). The YSW project form instructions will soon be available online.
PRESENTATION BOARD PICK-UP DATES AND TIMES (IN THE OFFICE) ARE AS FOLLOWSMarch 13, 14, and 16: 7:30 a.m. – 8 a.m, then 2:15 p.m. – 3 p.m.March 15: 7:30 – 8 a.m. ONLY
PROJECTS ARE DUE TUESDAY, MARCH 21ST
BY 2:30PMScience Fair 2017 will not only display Clyde Hill students’ Science Projects, but also provide information and activities regarding the new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) curriculum at CHE. Come and participate in fun and engaging STEM activities for the entire family, while learning more about computer coding available for students through our after school robotics program.Please follow the instructions for creating your Science Project in the YSW Handbook. Time permitting, students will share their projects in the classroom before the Fair.Please email any questions about Science Fair to Janet Daly, YSW Chair.