ACADEMIC CHALLENGE: YOUNG SCIENTIST WEEK
March 26-30, 2018: CHE PTA Curriculum Enhancement Program
March 27, 2018: Science Fair & S.T.E.M. Night
6 p.m. – 8 p.m. C.H.E. Multi-Purpose Room
Young Scientist Week (YSW) is an annual program benefiting the entire student body. YSW enhances the scientist in every Clyde Hill student.
The Science Fair and S.T.E.M. Night will be held on Tuesday evening of Science Week. This family event is a perennial favorite at Clyde Hill. In addition to viewing students’ project boards, there are many demonstrators and hands-on activities!
Registration for Science Fair CLOSES on Friday, March 9
PRESENTATION BOARD PICK-UP DATES AND TIMES (BY THE OFFICE ENTRANCE) WILL BE ON THURSDAYS DURING PICK-UP ON THE FOLLOWING DATES: MARCH 1, 8, 15
ACADEMIC CHALLENGE/SCIENCE FAIR PROJECT
In addition to the week’s events, students are eligible to earn an Academic Challenge credit and a participation medal with completion of an inquiry-based science project for display at the Science Fair. In this challenge, the student uses the scientific method (question, hypothesis, experiment, results, conclusion) to complete an age-appropriate experiment. The inquiry process is then detailed with photos and explanations which are mounted on a display board (included with registration). Time permitting, students will present their projects to their class during YSW, plus each board will be on display at the Science Fair.
VOLUNTEERING FOR THE SCIENCE FAIR
Sign-Up Genius link to help with the Science Fair
Volunteers are needed to help with the following:
- Set up chairs and tables
- On the evening of the event, volunteers are needed to check in Young Scientists and help with crowd control. These volunteer time slots will be short so everyone can also enjoy the Science Fair.
- Assistance with clean up
Volunteers please email: Sophia Sun @ YSW@ClydeHillPTA.org
Steps for Student Registration:
- To participate in the Science Fair, Register your student’s Science Fair Project using the Registration Form
- Start thinking about your experiment! Need help? See examples in the YSW Handbook.
- Complete your experiment and detail it on the presentation board.
- Bring your board to school for the classroom presentation, then leave it at school to be transported and set-up in the gym on Wednesday of Young Scientist Week
- Attend the YSW Science Fair and demonstrate/discuss your project.
- Photograph your exhibit and complete the Young Scientist Week Project submission form (if you are completing the Academic Challenge). The YSW project form instructions will soon be available online.
PROJECTS ARE DUE MONDAY, MARCH 26TH
Science Fair 2017 will not only display Clyde Hill students’ Science Projects, but also provide information and activities regarding the new STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) curriculum at CHE. Come and participate in fun and engaging STEM activities for the entire family, while learning more about computer coding available for students through our after school robotics program.